Veracruz Chronicles

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Semana Santa en Veracruz

We had a lovely week with a visit from Joy's parents. We started off in Veracruz (the port city) where we took granny and paw paw to the old fort. We also introduced them to cafe lecheros and pescado a la veracruzano here.
San Juan

From the port city, we moved onto Jalapa, the capital city of Veracruz. Jalapa is a fabulous city, with a small-ish city feel, in the mountains (read cooler than other parts of Veracruz) with enough coffee for our family (read expresso shop on most streets)! It is also a capital of music, refered to as the Austin, Texas of Mexico. We took granny and pawpaw to the Anthropology museum, which has an excellent collection of Olmec artifacts and many impressive Olmec heads. The next day we traveled up to the town of Coatepec, known as a center of coffee production. We walked about town and saw several impresive churches and chapels.
Coatepec

We arrived in Papantla. The children invited school friends and granny brought lots of Easter decorations and plastic eggs. We had an egg hunt and needless to say, our little friends caught on quickly! They all enjoyed themselves.
Egg Hunt

We rounded out the week with a trip to the local ruins, Tajin, and the whole family traveled out to one of the communities where I work to visit the family and participate in holy Thursday activities (read, making a whole lot of tamales). Mom and dad got to see a vanilla orchard, corn and bean fields and sample fresh made tamales and tortillas off a wood fire. I think they enjoyed themselves and have a good understanding of life in the countryside in this part of Mexico.

The children were so sad to see their grandparents leave and have experienced some real homesickness this past week. Our time here in Mexico is down to two months, hard to believe. We are planning a trip to visit the abuelos (grandparents in Spanish) in Cuernavaca at the end of the week. Time with them will help with the homesickness. We are looking forward to seeing a bit of central Mexico and just spending time with the abuelos before we head back to the states.

4 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Grandma Griffin said...

Joy, great pictures and write-up of the time with your parents around the state of Veracruz. I'm glad my "consuegra" brought colored eggs from the U.S. so the children could invite their young friends to an Easter egg hunt. Looks like they had fun!
Can't wait till you all get here to Cuernavaca!
Sorry, David and Catherine, that Dick and I didn't get to see you while you were in Mexico. I'm glad you had a good time!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

!Hola mi familia favorita!

I am at OCU trying to finish up my last week of school. Student teaching ended on Friday and I have a verbal agreement for a job next year at NHS - I should be signing a contract the end of May. I am excited to spend some more time with all of you! Gavin and I may be moving to a different house after a massive tic infestation last week. If so we may not get to Mexico until June 3rd. When exactly are you all headed back to the states. Also have you heard anymore about the festival in May/June or was that the amazing Tujin? Also, how much does the bus cost? I can't wait to see you all and participate in your beautiful life in Mexico. Hugs and Kisses -KIM

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm just realizing that probably the earliest I will get to see all of you is around Christmas time. It seems a long way away. I hope you all have a smooth transition back to life on Lahoma--I wish I could be there to welcome you (still 2 months away, I know, but it seems like it's coming up).

Of course if any of you find yourselves in DC in the next year, I would love to show you around.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Peter Williams said...

Hi all,

It's been a tricky time over here, but I've finally got job offers, 2 in fact! So by the time you're back in the States we'll have moved yet again, hopefully this time it'll be more permanent. Natalie misses Willa all the time. Enjoy your last 2 months!

Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home